Monday, February 3, 2014

February 3: Destination - Gashora, Rwanda

I'm volunteering with a group of people through Developing World Connections in Gashora, Rwanda, on a development project with host partner, Building Bridges with Rwanda.

This project will increase economical opportunities for women by constructing weaving studios at the Covaga Innovation Centre in Gashora. The Covaga is a cooperative of weavers who use the water hyacinth plant to make and sell beautiful woven goods. Weavers can make $6/day, twice the average laborer or mason's daily wage. Once completed, the centre will have a showroom, weaving studios, kitchen/restaurant, and community space.

There will be eight of us traveling together. I have only met one, Richard Srepel, the Team Leader. My adventure begins Friday, February 7th at 6:00am. I will be flying from Kamloops to Vancouver to Montreal to Brussels to Kigali. I will arrive in Kigali on Saturday, February 8th at 8:00pm. Rwanda is 10 hours ahead of BC time.

I will try to blog daily so stay tuned for more posts!

Todd Drake
DWC Volunteer Participant
Rwanda, February 2014

No comments: